Cystic echinococcosis (CE) is a parasitic condition endemic in Peru. Around 3000 new human cases are reported every year, most in poor and rural communities in the Highlands. With ongoing environmental infection CE is a significant public health concern in Peru. This has been recognised by a 2013 Presidential Decree that declared CE surveillance and control of national interest. In 2015, in response to this, health authorities initiated 5-year pilot projects to assess the effectiveness of a number of control measures.
Under the Researcher Links scheme offered within the Newton Fund, the British Council and the Peruvian Council for Science and Technology (CONCYTEC) will be holding a workshop on the above theme in Lima (Peru) on 16-19 October 2018. The workshop is being coordinated by the University of Surrey (UK) and the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos (Peru), and will have contributions from other leading researchers. We are now inviting Early Career Researchers (ECR) from the UK or Peru to apply to attend this workshop. All travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by the Research Links programme. Applications are welcome until 23 July. Successful candidates will be contacted in early August.
The workshop will provide a unique opportunity for sharing research expertise and networking. During the workshop ECR will have the opportunity to present their research and discuss with established researchers from the UK and Peru. There will be a focus on building up links for future collaborations.
- To review cystic echinococcosis situation in Latin America and Peru.
- To review state-of-the-art methodologies to inform surveillance and controls for parasitic diseases and CE specifically.
- To evaluate the evidence so far generated by the pilot projects.
- Beyond efficiency: To evaluate the difficulties and advantages of the different control strategies.
- To assess the most feasible strategy or combination of strategies.
- To deliver technical recommendations for policy guidance.
- Applications are now open until the 23 July.
- Eligibility criteria and application forms are available here: https://www.cecontrolperuworkshops.com/
- Application deadline: 23 July