IELTS UKVI english test: Cancellation and Refund Policy for Candidates
Note: This policy applies only to IELTS tests for UKVI and IELTS Life Skills. Please review the relevant policy for non-UKVI IELTS tests.
You can cancel your IELTS test registration at any time before taking the test by notifying your test center. The conditions for refund will be subject to when the cancellation occurs and whether any exceptional circumstances apply.
1. TIME UNTIL EXAM DATE
1.1. More than 14 days before the examination:
If you cancel your registration for the IELTS test more than 14 days before the test date, you will receive a 75% refund of the total test fee.
In the UK and EU member states, you are eligible for a 100% refund if you cancel your booking more than 14 days before the exam date and within 14 days of booking the exam. If your exam is taking place in the UK or an EU member state, you can check your eligibility at your test center.
1.2. Within 14 days and more than two days before the date of the examination:
If you cancel your IELTS test registration within 14 days and more than two days before the test date, you will receive a 50% refund of the total test fee..
1.3. Within two days prior to the examination:
If you cancel your IELTS test registration within two days or less of the test, you will receive a 25% refund of the total test fee.
1.4. On or after the day of the examination:
If you cancel your IELTS test registration on or after test day, you will not receive a refund.
2. EXCEPTIONAL CASES OF THE CANDIDATE
You may justify exceptional circumstances to your test center prior to the exam and up to five business days after the exam date if you miss the exam. Your test center will respond to you within seven business days of receiving your written request. Your test center will evaluate the exceptional circumstances of your case.
All cases with exceptional circumstances providing justification must be received by your test center no later than five working days after the scheduled test date.
If your examination center approves your case, you will be reimbursed the total amount paid minus an administrative fee of no more than 25%.
If your test center does not approve your case, the conditions in section 1 will apply.
We consider the following to be exceptional circumstances:
• Serious illness that prevents you from attending or taking the exam normally on the scheduled date. Such illness must be supported by a medical certificate from a licensed medical professional.
• Death certificate of bereavement, trauma or other form of major adversity.
• Military Service
3. EXCEPTIONS OF THE EXAMINING CENTER
In certain circumstances beyond the control of the test center, we may be forced to cancel your exam. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, extreme weather conditions, natural disasters, civil unrest and strikes.
In such circumstances, your test center will provide you with as much information as possible and give you a choice between:
· a full reimbursement, or
· a modification of the exam date to a future date that is convenient for you.
In cases where your test center cancels an exam under circumstances within its control, in addition to a full refund or rescheduling of the exam to another date, you may request financial compensation for expenses incurred. In this regard, the test center will evaluate your request as reasonable or unreasonable and compensation will be awarded based on the following circumstances:
· The testing center will evaluate whether the cancellation decision is within or beyond its control.
· Any compensation granted shall be limited, exclusively, to travel and accommodation expenses and:
• directly incurred as a result of planning your attendance on the day of the exam;
• to be justified by the provision of proof of payment;
• that it is justified that the travel and/or accommodation cancellation costs cannot be reimbursed by the supplier;
• be compared with the lowest reasonable rates for the expenses in question (this will be done by your examination center).
· If you have enrolled at a test center that is not near your usual place of residence, the test center will not consider your application reasonable.
B. Tuition Transfers
4.1. More than 14 days before the examination:
You can change your exam date at any time more than 14 days before the exam date.
You must select an available test date within three months of your original test date. If the exam date you select is later than three months after your original exam date, your change will be considered a cancellation.
You can only modify a specific reservation once.
Your test center may charge you an administration fee of up to 25% of the total exam fee.
4.2. Within 14 days prior to the examination:
Any tuition transfer request made within 14 days of the exam date will be considered a cancellation. Please refer to section A. "Cancellations" of this policy document.
i. Your test center is responsible for issuing refunds and coordinating modifications.
ii. In accordance with section A. 2., the testing center is responsible for making decisions regarding candidates' claims for exceptional circumstances.
iii. In accordance with section A. 3., the examining center is responsible for making decisions regarding compensation, including eligibility and any amount awarded.
iv. If the consumer protection legislation of the country in which you have registered for the IELTS test provides for cancellation and transfer fees that are more favorable to the candidate than the above fees, the local consumer protection legislation will apply.